Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Media Break

This is a lovely way to say that I've been "away" from my computer the last 48-ish hours. However, the reason isn't quite so lovely. On Monday night, I went to bed with a bit of an unsettled stomach and chalked it up to the slushy I had eaten. Well, the next morning I woke up much earlier than usual with what I'm pretty certain was a nasty case of food poisoning. Yesterday, my Tuesday, I spent most of my time in bed or in the bathroom - not fun. Today, I a bit better, but was still exhausted. Just walking down the street made me feel like I had been walking for miles. But I had to go to class this afternoon because the teacher had prepared the term paper topic for me early, because of my departure schedule. Also, I canceled English class last night and didn't feel I could do that for a second day in a row. So, I had class from 3-5 and then taught from 7-9. Loooooong day, even though that day was relatively very short.

I'm gaining my strength back little by little so I think tomorrow I'll be better than today. I'm not eating a ton, but I'm trying to at least stay hydrated. I don't know about you, but I don't like feeling so weak or having to rely on other people! There are hidden lessons in this whole thing, I'm sure. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm super frustrated at facebook for making me change my name!! I don't put my last name on there for privacy reasons, but instead list my Chinese name in the slot for my last name. Both of those names are legitimate and make it easy for my English and Chinese speaking friends to find me. However, now facebook only allows you to list your name under ONE language. So annoying! I mean, really! What about the people who have Spanish last names and English first names? Will the system not catch it because it's all in Romanized characters? Huh! I think my tiredness is just compounding my overall frustration ... better get off this topic.

According to my planner and the notes all over my desk, these next few days are going to be busy ones and so I will probably not have much time to be on the computer.

When I think about the time I have left in Taiwan, it seems impossible that it adds up to less than a month ... I have only a mere three weeks left before I'm State-bound. My life in the States is quite different from my life here in Taiwan. As always, it gives me mixed emotions making the transition.

However, I am much looking forward to Christmas and being with my family. Tonight, as I walked home from English class, I heard a band playing a Christmas medley. I stopped, sat down and listened to them play. It was wonderful. Music has such an amazing quality. Even though it was a small thing, I felt like it was a little encouragement from God. He knew what a rough couple of days I've had and that I needed a little cheering up at that moment. :)

Well, it's time for this girl to scoot off to bed ~~

night,
k

p.s. I taught the class how to use the phrase, "what's up" tonight. It was great fun. Jay asked me, quite seriously, "What if you say, "What's up" to someone and they say "what's up" back? They haven't answered your question!" haha I told him that there are two ways you can use "what's up." The first way is just as a casual greeting from one friend/acquaintance to another. It's a way of acknowledging that person; saying "hi" and it really doesn't require anything after that. When both parties have said, "What's up" to each other, the conversation sometimes ends right there. The other way of using it is as a response when someone has just expressed something to you like, "I'm so frustrated today" or "I'm so excited about tomorrow!" At that point, they should offer an explanation following your, "what's up." I think he got it after that but it was so cute how earnestly he asked the question.

One of their homework assignments for next week is to use that phrase with at least two of their friends who speak at least a little English and then report to the class how their friends responded. The results should prove to be entertaining ^_^

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your "unsettled stomach." I am praying for you today. :) Is there time to send you something in the mail before you return to the States?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Babe! "What's up?" hahaha! You sounded SOOO much better, yesterday. Glad you are getting your strength back. Hope you and Tiffany are having a great time and that your tummy was able to handle Sushi, too. :) Can't wait to hear the weekend update.

    xoxoxo ~ Moiy <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathey, thank you for the prayers!! I appreciate each and every one of them. I'm coming home in time to celebrate Christmas soooo there isn't really time to send anything. However, that was sweet of you to ask. :)

    Mom, yeah Tiffany and I had a most excellent time together. :) Love you, too~~

    ReplyDelete