Friday, August 20, 2010

One more thing ...




My passport arrived today with my new visa!! It came a little early so I was pleasantly surprised. (Btw, I did not take the above picture. Many thanks to google.com/images.)

One more thing gets checked from my list, yet my list seems to keep growing in spite of my attempts to be productive. :)

Today I need to go to the store, deeeeeeeeep clean and sanitize my backpack and begin organizing my packing. Also, need to rush order a new battery for my computer.

God is so good! Yesterday, I was again reminded that we are commanded to, "Fear not." When we were talking with Bro. Price, he had a few scriptures he wanted to share and this was one of them:

"Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me him prisoner; but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began." 2 Timothy 1:6-9

I just realized something as I was typing this out! I've often quoted the part regarding fear in this manner, "For God hath not given us a spirit of fear," but that's not what the Word says. It says God hath not given us THE spirit of fear. Then I got curious about the original meanings of the word, "fear" used in scripture so I went to e-Sword. It turns out that the word used in 2 Timothy 1:7 is δειλία (deilia [di-lee'-ah]) From G1169; timidity: - fear. God has not given us a spirit of timidity! Now verses about boldness and about being either hot or cold take on further meaning in light of that verse.

But then I started thinking about all the verses that talk about the fear of the Lord ... so I went back to e-Sword. :) This is what I found:

Psa 36:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David the servant of the LORD. The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes.

פּחד (pachad [pakh'-ad]) From H6342; a (sudden) alarm (properly the object feared, by implication the feeling): - dread (-ful), fear, (thing) great [fear, -ly feared], terror.

Psa 96:9 O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth.

חיל , חוּל (chûl chîyl [khool, kheel]) A primitive root; properly to twist or whirl (in a circular or spiral manner), that is, (specifically) to dance, to writhe in pain (especially of parturition) or fear; figuratively to wait, to pervert: - bear, (make to) bring forth, (make to) calve, dance, drive away, fall grievously (with pain), fear, form, great, grieve, (be) grievous, hope, look, make, be in pain, be much (sore) pained, rest, shake, shapen, (be) sorrow (-ful), stay, tarry, travail (with pain), tremble, trust, wait carefully (patiently), be wounded.

Psa 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;

ירא (yârê' [yaw-ray']) From H3372; fearing; morally reverent: - afraid, fear (-ful).

Psa 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

יראה (yir'âh [yir-aw']) Feminine of H3373; fear (also used as infinitive); morally reverence: - X dreadful, X exceedingly, fear (-fulness).

This is by no means a conclusive study as there very well may be other definitions to fear that I didn't find yet, but it's just what I found from quickly looking at commonly used verses dealing with fear. I was blown away by the different meanings that came behind the same English word! The most terrifying definition given from these verses came from Psalm 36:1 when speaking about wickedness. It uses words like, "alarm," and "dread." Psalm 96:9's fear was amazing! Twist and whirl! But in that same definition is also, "bear or bring forth." A lot can come from our worship and our fear of the Almighty God.

The fear of the Lord can also be defined as a moral reverence of God. This connects with not having any other gods before Him and with abstaining from profane language or using the name of Jesus in vain. We must remind ourselves that God is omnipotent and omnicious. His ways are above our ways and His thoughts above our thoughts.

Such a simple thing, but so exciting discovering more about God's Word. I'm sure I've heard many messages about the fear of God and about not fearing, but there is something about digging it out for yourself that makes it more personal than preaching. It's like God turns the black light on in my brain and now I can see what was always there, but not visible without Him having revealed it.

Well, my backpack and my errands are still waiting for me so I must bid you adieu ...

No comments:

Post a Comment