Tuesday, November 2, 2010

hey hey hey hakka

After two and a half years of Chinese study and my second trip to Taiwan, I have finally purchased an electronic dictionary. :) I'm playing with it presently (well, in between blogging ^-^) and I gotta say, I like it. :) I just figured out that I can learn conversational phrases from other Chinese dialects like Hakka, Taiwanese and the Sichuan dialect. Pretty neat! However, it is slightly challenging to hear the correct pronunciation from an automated system ... ^-^ But it's awesome! I can hand-write characters on the screen and it will give me English and Chinese dictionary results for that word. There are also other language dictionaries on it. It's amazing! It can even type in Thai!! Super news since I have two Thai roommates~~

Tonight was my last English class with this group of students, as far as I know. It's kinda sad to stop after we were all just getting used to each other. Buuut, when one door closes, another opens. Tonight, I made an agreement with a tea shop here to translate their menu for them. They asked me last week or the week before but I hadn't had a chance to get back and talk with them yet. So tonight I stopped by to see if they were still wanting me to help them out. The boss said yes and we exchanged contact information so he could send me a Chinese version of the menu in a document form so I can add in the English underneath. This is going to be a great experience! And I get paid for it! :) Thank you, Jesus!

Okay, well I should hit the sack, even though my new toy and this computer are seemingly demanding my attention.

Good night world~
k

2 comments:

  1. WOW! WOW! WOW! Did you buy it in Tainan or Taichung, after you got back in town??? You didn't tell me this exciting news while you were on the 高鐵. :) I'm so happy for you ... Daddy wanted that to be your graduation present, so ~ ya need to tell us how much it cost. ;)

    I'm sure it was hard to say 再見 to your students. But now you have new friends have some more wonderful experience to draw from. <3 AND you have made new friends. :)

    Can't wait to see your work on the menu. SO thankful for the doors the Lord opens. :)

    Love you, and sweet dreams, my beautiful butterfly. Rest those weary wings, as there is still much flying to be done!!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..how you say ...orange chicken!

    ReplyDelete