Monday, November 1, 2010

A wonderful weekend ...

Where do I begin? After my last blog, things started to get less groggy. At least I haven't forgotten if it was am or pm in the last 48 hours. :)


So yes, the university's anniversary/birthday was this past weekend so they had a celebration and the international students were required to participate. It was great to see people, some of them in traditional garb, holding their countries' flag. Here are a few pictures from the day.

A bunch of us together, with the two, main ladies who keep us all organized and informed.




Me, Brittany and one of her roommates, Nan


Brittany, me, Lin and Alice. These two ladies work tirelessly in the International Office to make sure things go well for the students studying abroad.


My roomies!!!!!! Very sweet girls from Thailand~


A bunch of us from Poo-shuan ~~ just within a few doors of each other.


Leaving the field after our walk past the main platform.


Me and Brittany, marching with all the other international students, to the admin building to take a group photo.




Fa wearing my sunglasses because they matched her Thai costume. ^-^


Me and Sid, a young lady from the Philippines. We met in the airport on our first day in Taiwan.


Are you proud to be an American?


Coming in Saturday night I met Sis. B's mother for the first time. She is a sweetheart. :)

Sunday, yesterday, was a busy day!! We had church in the morning in Tainan. Bro. Bracken preached about knowing Jesus: "Whom do men say that I, the Son of Man am?/ Whom do ye say I am?" After service, we all stuck around for a potluck and celebration of three birthdays: Bro. Bracken, Alisha and Jerry. Then, a group of us drove up to Ligang for a special gathering.

I have to tell a funny story ... On the way to Ligang yesterday afternoon, Sis. Bracken had a map because they had not been to the church's new location yet. Well something came up about the name for a map in Chinese, which is, "地圖[di4-tu2](which sounds like, "Dee two." So, Bro. Bracken, being the King of Puns that he is, turned to his faithful navigator and said, "Honey, this is 'Our-two 地圖'." [Get it?? ... R2D2??] ... :D

We had a tremendous time together in Ligang. It was wonderful to be back with everyone in the same place. After a great time of singing and encouragement from the three pastors present, we ate some delicious food and visited with each other.

Today, we had a really lovely breakfast. Homemade biscuits and gravy, an omelet with cheese and other goodness inside, fried potatoes, smoked salmon and tea.

We went to the dream mall to meet up with some more Brackens today. :) Fun times around a Starbucks table. (I had a mocha frappuccino)The English on stuff here is killing me! Today, Tiffany and I were walking around a 39NT store and saw some English that was just hilarious ~~ I have provided some pictures below for your viewing pleasure. I think they require no further explanation for there really is none to be giving. ^-^















I should have taken some pictures of the mall. It's beautiful and quite large. Before we left the mall, we went up on the roof-top and rode the Ferris-wheel around. It was awesome to be able to see the city from so high up. The harbor is huge! Bro. Bracken said it used to be the third largest in the world, if I remember correctly.



No matter how hard you try, you will never, ever, ever escape Hello Kitty in this country ... ever.














Our dinner tonight was wonderful! We went to Tasty, which was a first for me. Sooo yummy! We were so full coming out of there!! We took our time eating, chatting, laughing and enjoying each others' company. I don't have any pictures of us, but I did take pictures of the food. :)

Shrimp and asparagus


Mmmmmm not sure what to call this ... but it was delicious.


Cesar Salad


Pumpkin soup


For cleansing the palate ...


The main attraction


Delicious dessert


My tea ~ 玫瑰森林


They also gave us a sparkling juice in celebration of the two birthdays, but I don't have a picture of that.

I can't help but wonder if the person who came up with the Chinese name for this establishment 1) was a speaker of English 2) was pleased with the meat they were served here.


I got a goodbye-kiss tonight from my boyfriend ... Ethan Bracken. :) Relax, relax ... it was only on the cheek ... and it was from a five-year-old. haha He is a cutie pie! Ethan and Abbey are amazingly cute kids and fun to be around. Abbey asked me on Sunday how old I was and she remembered tonight. At the table today, she asked me how college was and then told me to start speaking to her in Chinese. So we held a mini-dialogue in which I asked her why she wanted me to speak to her in Chinese. It was really cute.

Many, "Happy Birthday" wishes are extended to Alisha and Bro. Bracken on their birthday, today and to Miss Abbey, whose birthday is coming up this week.

P.S. Fact: Between the writing and the uploading of pictures, this blogging session has taken me about two hours ...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, honey, for carving out time for your posts! The pics are terrific...and it looks like you had a much needed break from Campus life!!! This helps us to have a peek into your world ~ and I know it's time consuming ~ but such a blessing. :)

    Happy Birthday, to everyone! :) And was that SO cute, Ethan giving you a little 'luvies' and Abbey wanting you to speak Chinese with her? How precious! <3 What a wonderful weekend. And the services sound like they were each a drink of living water for a parched and weary soul!!! <3 Sounds like you all had such a precious time in Ligang.

    I have to laugh when I think about you on a Ferris Wheel!!! Do you remember the first time Daddy got you to go on the Dbl Ferris Wheel at the State Fair??? You may not, as you were very young. He cut a 'deal' with you: If you rode the Ferris Wheel with him (cuz I was too chicken! LOL) He'd buy you one of those GIANT dill pickles, afterward! You did ... and he did! hahaha! ;)

    Though I miss you immensely,I just can't be sad, knowing that you are in God's impeccable care and with such wonderful people. <3 SO glad you had a blessed, blessed time and are starting to get your sleep schedule turned around.

    Praying for another milestone week for you!

    xoxooxxooxoxoxoxoxo ~ Love you to infinity and beyond! Moiy <3

    ReplyDelete