Monday, October 4, 2010

...........多的是,你不知道的事

FOOOOOOOOD. I can't describe to you how much I am longing for the following things:
1. a kitchen
2. a grocery store closer to me
3. a deli sandwich
4. SALAD!!!!
5. NON-GREASY FOOD!

I love Taiwan :) and I love some of the food they have here ... but I'm not a huge fan of "lu wei" especially since, even they keep the food in separate containers, they usually put all the containers in the same water to cook it and there is all kinds of gross things in there including forbidden shellfish items and blood cake ... ah ...
I never realized how good we had it at NCKU last year! :)

This morning, I gave my very first presentation in Chinese ... lol But for some reason, a lot of English ended up creeping into the presentation. ;) I'm glad that my professor speaks English fluently and is an authority on the subject ... she was able to explain things better to the students when my language skills failed me. Also, my classmate, Edward, was a big help when I got stuck, giving me the right words. haha

There was only one (1) time during the whole time (over 30 minutes) that I laughed or even smiled ... and that was because I said the wrong word!!!! Ahh! I was supposed to say, "blah blah blah information," but said instead, "blah blah blah beverage." ^-^ I don't think everyone, or even the teacher, heard me, but Edward did and we both started laughing .. I had to stifle it and move on with as much composure as possible. I think God knew that if I didn't laugh about something, I would get so frustrated and just shut down.

So, a lot has happened in the relatively short span of time since my last blog but it's too much to remember and write down. :) I'm not even sure what to include. I think the food is on my mind the most because it's such a part of my daily life and I feel pretty unhealthy right now ...

I'm learning new things and embarking on new journeys and adventures that I didn't exactly foresee before I left home. It's growth, which is good ... and stepping out of my comfort zone, which is also good, but requires some courage and leaning on God for strength.

On a positive note, there was a mosquito on the wall just a few minutes ago ... I took off my flipflop and smashed it quite successfully against the wall!! :) One point!

Tomorrow I need to do laundry! :)

Here are just a few pictures from last weekend ~~ I'll try to get more general photos up soon ~~

Taken from my window ... the beautiful, morning sunlight over the mountains in Taipei





Yang Mu signing autographs after the conference:



The 101 :)



It looks full, right??



Wrong!!!! ... NOW, it's full :)



This was just after I got back to my dorm from Taipei last weekend:

4 comments:

  1. Love the pics, honey! My, but you look lovely. ;) And again, we're so proud of this very brave solo trip you took that weekend! I thought it was brave living in L.A. when I was your age, and conquering the 405 and Hwy 10, 57 and 91, but not so sure I could hang with the foreign-Asian 'thing'; hailing taxis, and riding every form of public transportation they offer - ending up in a city of almost 7 million people!!! Not to mention, staying in an unfamiliar hotel, alone, and having to locate the University you'd never been to and walking into a conference of several hundred people, only knowing two of the guest speakers. :) I'm sure Yeh Laoshi was very, very pleased that you came!

    Sorry about the lack of kitchen and want for different cuisine. :( Sadly I can't mail a salad nor a deli sandwich, or else I would! I'm sure your presentation was terrific - and ins't God good to provide a little comic relief, when we so desperately need it? :P

    Can't believe all you've experienced these past 5 weeks! And you've handled it all so beautifully. Now it's time to catch your breath, get some rest and settle into a more 'normal' routine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,

    Come visit me and I will make you a salad with a deli sandwich on the side. Then we will go eat Japanese. After wards, we can make cookies. I will hide the scales for that weekend!! Seriously, just tell me when you have free time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, that sounds wonderful. :) I promise to stay as far away from the scale as possible. :) haha This weekend, I have some training ... buuuuutt I may be able to run up next weekend sometime ... if next weekend doesn't work for either you or me, I won't have free time on the weekend until November-ish ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tiff, sorry I haven't been in contact with you the last couple weeks ... long story (that I can tell you off a public forum)short, I've been kinda busy. I've heard that you are leaving the country ... is that true? When? I am occupied the next two weekends but I want to see you, if possible, after that.

    Hope all is well with you ~ I know you are probably busy, as always. :)

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete