Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Calvin Klein underwear and other unmentionables

You are probably thinking, "WHAT in the world!!!???" haha ... please allow me to explain ...

Today, I met with three Taiwanese students who are planning to travel to Davis next month for a conference. They were full of questions about travel, etc. Then I started asking them about things they might want to buy while they're here ... and that's when it got funny: luggage, clothes, etc .. the stuff you would expect .. but these people are also very aware of name-brands. The guy who is going on the trip popped out with "Ralph Lauren, Polo, Levi's, Rimowa, H & M, Top Shop, Bottega Veneta" ... annnnnnnd "CK underwear." lol ... when I figured out what he was asking, I was like, "Well, I don't buy Calvin Klein men's underwear so I have no idea about that one." I heard one of the girls say to him in Chinese, "She is blushing." haha ...

And then I was shocked again when that same girl started asking about where she could buy American feminine products ... not exactly what I imagined they would want to find in the States ... lol. Annd, I don't really know the names for the items she was looking for so we had to use description and an electronic dictionary ... and that guy was sitting there watching us intently the whole time. At one point I asked him, "Aren't you embarrassed?" ... but he didn't seem embarrassed at all ... I think I was probably the only one. ^-^

Anyhow, I taught English class again tonight! :) It went pretty well, I think. Tonight, we talked about the, "th" sound, idioms regarding time, "both ... and ...", "either ... or ...", "neither ... nor ...", and making business calls. This time, I sat at the desk level with the other students to try and make them feel more comfortable ... I want to encourage them to talk more, not make them feel intimidated. I gave English names to two of the students at the beginning of class and so we were getting used to that tonight, too. I had a lot of stuff to go through so we kind of ran out of time, but I am much happier to have too much planned than not enough.

I think I'm going through a stage of learning, "thick-skinedness" ... I'm being asked about underwear and other "stuff", having to explain things like, unique vs. eunuch, version vs. virgin, slut vs. slot, and learning things like the word for upper-class prostitutes from the front page of the newspaper. All in all, hopefully my face will get used to this and stop exhibiting "pinkness" soon enough. ^-^

The sunset was riveting tonight. Yes, I know that it's probably because of pollution that the colors are so amazing, but still ... it's beautiful to look at. I really love the sky at night, too! Lately, I have been able to see a couple stars and it always makes my night. :)


This is my headband that I got from the night market last night! I wore it today to my meeting with Wenna and to my English class. I am getting braver about my bartering skills! I almost always ask for a lower price than listed/given now. haha And it usually works. :D


I took out my garbage tonight! Woot! I love being garbage-less. There was something else I was going to blog about ... but I can't remember ... I suppose that's enough for now.

~k.

1 comment:

  1. My, oh my, oh MY! When you accepted the teaching job, I'm sure you never thought you'd be teaching such...intricate, personal,delicate topics!

    Tell them they can buy everything they are looking for at the Vacaville Outlets! lol

    I love you! I miss you! You do make me smile! xoxox ~ NOW ~ GO TO BED!!! ^o^

    ReplyDelete